If you're new to site building and just want to try it for free, you can use these products as free website builders - in addition to paid services, they enable creating your own website for free with some restrictions.
They give you a chance to test your netwriting skills. You can create a website for free and cancel the project at any time if something goes wrong, or switch to a paid version if you are totally delighted with the result and want to remove restrictions and include additional features.
One of the best things about online website builders is that the content of your website is stored separately from the layout. At any time, in a few clicks of the mouse, you can easily change the appearance of your site - the template, colors, fonts, etc., without ever having to retype any information.
The reviewed free website builders are the current leaders in their fields - an extremely easy-to-use online website builder for creating small sites, two online services for small business, and a popular tool offered by many hosting providers...
This is a popular online builder, which anyone can use to quickly create small websites without the need of HTML programming skills or expensive desktop software. It's suitable for those who just want to make small professional looking websites very quickly, easily and inexpensively - affiliates, home and small businesses, families, hobbies, sports teams, etc.
When you buy a domain name at 1&1 ($7.99/year), the builder comes free and has restrictions like other free website builders: no more than 5 pages. If you need more pages you have to buy a hosting package (from $3.99/month).
Building a website is a five-step process...
- Choose your layout from a library of 140 website templates.
- Refine your design - choose your favorite graphic and pick the font size, text color, and navigation button style.
- Edit your content with easy to use online editor.
- Add extra features like Flash animation, a counter, feedback forms, guest books and more.
- Publish your website.
In comparison to other free online website builders the main advantage of 1&1 Website Builder is no advertising even in the free version. The main disadvantage is less options when customizing your template and page layout.
You can see an example of a mini site created with this tool here: Free online website builder.
1&1 also offers cheap domain registration and a wide variety of hosting plans.
This website builder is suitable for those who want to make a small business website very quickly, easily and inexpensively (it's free for the first 30 days and $4.99/month thereafter).
You can have a website designed and built in minutes, even if you've never created a website before. There are over 2000 professionally designed templates organized into different categories, so finding a design suitable for your business is easy.
Intuit's website templates are fully functional sites with multiple pages, navigation, images, and even text you might easily use in your business site. If you are in a hurry, you can simply add your own business name and contact information, and your website will be online in moments. You can easily update anything later: edit text directly onto your pages, add your own graphics or use any pictures from their image library with over 200,000 images.
You can host your site under their domain or register a custom domain name, and get email addresses to match. If you can't find a good name, Intuit's team of web experts can help you. They can even design a website and build it for you, if you don't have the time to do it yourself.
Recently they launched a new service - Online Store. It allows you to sell up to 100 products, accept payments with your own check-out page and build your website with Intuit Websites' drag-and-drop technology. Online Store includes a free 30-day trial and costs $35/month thereafter. More info...
This tool takes a different approach to site creating than other free website builders - one time fee package. You can make a complete website with unlimited pages for one flat fee.
First of all, you get a 7-day free trial account and can try your skills creating your website for free. After switching to the registered account, you get two weeks of access to your website as you develop it. You can make the unlimited quantity of downloads or direct file transfers to your hosting company servers.
They won't delete your website from their base after you have finished it. If you need to make further changes to it, you can either do them yourself or use their 10-day or 1-month access plan (for a small fee) to make updates and download or transfer your website again.
They offer a powerful online editor and hundreds of high-quality professional website templates to choose from. (Site2you partners with TemplateMonster - one of the world's leading website templates providers.)
Unlike other reviewed above free website builders, this browser-based solution for website design and construction from Positive Software Corporation isn't a standalone tool. It's a software that hosting providers can install on their servers to help users build professionally looking websites without knowing anything about FTP, HTML, or imaging software.
Key features of Site Studio:
- Simple to use: Site Studio guides you step-by-step, providing simple choices regarding color, style and images. There is no software to buy, and no code to learn.
- Layout templates: Site Studio provides over 1000 professionally designed templates. The content of your website is stored separately from the layout. This way, you can completely change the look and feel of your website in a few clicks of the mouse, without ever having to retype any information.
- Customizable color schemes: Site Studio includes a number of built-in color combinations that look great with any layout. But if you want to add a little originality to your site, all the colors can be changed, either by using a point-and-click color picker, or typing in the color as a hex number.
- Complete control over images: you can upload your own images without having to leave your browser. The required images, including logos, rollover buttons and sidebars, can also be generated automatically in the colors you want, with the desired text.
- Variety of pages: Site Studio includes a lot of predefined page templates: About, Links, Download, Firm Profile, Survey Form, FAQ, Catalog, ICQ Contact Center, Site Map, Contact Us, Services, Add-A-Cart Catalog, Amazon.Com Web Store, etc. Generic Page template enables creation of custom pages that do not fall into any other categories. Advanced users can copy-paste existing HTML pages and create Web pages based on their own HTML code.
- One-click publishing: The website is published with one easy click. But even after publishing, you can go back and change it as much as you wish.
Many hosting providers offer this website builder for an additional fee. However, here is an inexpensive hosting service which provides clients with Site Studio for free...
Unlimited disk space and bandwidth for $4.95 a month. Additionally, you get a unique (dedicated) IP address for your site.
See Resources: Inexpensive Web Hosting for more details about this hosting provider.
Business Website Builders
These tools are rather comprehensive marketing platforms for those who want to build a professional, popular, and profitable Web business (not just a website).
- Site Content
- Search Engine Optimization
- Web Design
- HTML Codes
- Web Graphics
- Domain Names
- Web Hosting
- Online Website Builders:
- Free Website Builders
- Business Website Builders
How to Create a Website
One-page guide for beginners.
Inexpensive Web Hosting
How to choose a fast and reliable service from the bulk of cheap hosting solutions.