The ability to use any Internet-connected computer as a fax machine is one of a few things on the Web that can fundamentally change the way you work.
Online faxing saves time and money in several ways...
- No need for a fax machine, an extra fax line, and all the associated expenses.
- No long distance charges.
- No busy signals to listen to since there is no dialing at all.
This is one of the most popular online faxing services. It has developed the largest secure digital fax network in the world with over 10 million customers, local numbers in over 2,000 cities worldwide and toll-free numbers in the U.S. and Canada.
The concept is simple: you get a personal fax number that's tied to your email. When someone faxes to this number, the fax is converted to a file that is emailed to you as an attachment. You send faxes to any fax machine in the world directly from your email address or by logging into your eFax account from any computer connected to Internet. It's the reliability and security of faxing with the ease and convenience of email.
There are eFax Plus, eFax Pro and eFax Free services...
eFax Plus fits well if you receive fewer than 150 fax pages a month and don't need voicemail. You get a local or toll-free number. Received faxes are additionally saved on their server and can be accessed online for 1 year.
eFax Pro is a more complete online faxing service. You can receive up to 200 fax pages a month and access your faxes online for up to 2 years. Your eFax Pro number will also accept voicemail and deliver it as an email attachment. You can listen to it with any music player such as Windows Media Player, or with the eFax Messenger software.
eFax Free is a limited account that allows you to try out the service free of charge. You get a non-local number chosen at random to receive faxes only. You can receive up to 20 pages per month. If you exceed that amount, after a warning, the free service will be suspended and you'll have either to upgrade to a fee service or to sign up for a new eFax Free number.
When someone faxes you, eFax automatically converts the fax into a graphic file and sends it to your email address as a file attachment. You open it with the eFax Messenger software that you download from the eFax site (available for Windows and Mac). You can view, zoom, rotate, and print your received faxes.
You also have the option to route all your incoming faxes to up to 5 different email addresses. You can save faxes just like any email attachment. The Internet faxing service also allows you to access your faxes by logging in at the eFax site for up to one year with eFax Plus or two years with eFax Pro.
With an eFax Plus or an eFax Pro account you can send a fax in three different ways...
- Attach a file (all popular file types are supported) to an email and send it to "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Use your eFax Messenger program to send it for you.
- Follow the step-by-step directions on the eFax website to send it from anywhere you have an Internet connection.
eFax Plus costs $16.95/month or $169.50/year, which includes receiving up to 150 pages and sending up to 150 pages a month free. Receiving and sending extra faxes costs $0.10 a page.
Other online faxing services
It's an inexpensive North America oriented service. You can send and receive faxes using your email address, or by logging into your MyFax Web fax account. You get a toll-free fax number (US and Canada only). The service costs $10/month or $110/year and includes sending 100 pages and receiving 200 pages monthly. Additional pages (if you receive more than 200 or send more than 100 per month) cost $0.10 each.
MyFax is now also available in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain - see here.
- Computer Internet Security - protection against network security attacks.
- Advanced and free spam blockers.
- Remote computer access software.
- User-friendly Web conferencing tool.
- Fast and free Internet accelerators.
- Satellite Internet access - high-speed two-way satellite Internet connection is now available.
- Online data backups - a new method of data protection.
- Easy website building tool.
- Improving business writing skills.
- Dedicated IP hosting - benefits of using a static over shared IP address.
- Avoid my hosting mistakes.
- An easy way to create a mobile version of your website.
How to Create a Website
One-page guide for beginners.
Easy Website builders
Easy way to build a professional looking site for commercial use or just for fun.
Remote computer access
New Web-based approach to remote computer access.
Fast and free Internet accelerators
Comparison and reviews of the most popular Internet accelerators.